Tuesday, February 19, 2008

A legend in their own mind

As background information, loyal readers know that I've not worked here for very long, and there are lots of employees here at the U, both faculty and staff.

Patron 1: I'd like tickets for the show next weekend.

Anastasia: Sure, what is your name please?

Patron 1 (looks confused): It's Mary Smith.*

Anastasia pulls up account and notices that Mary Smith is listed as faculty. She asks to make sure she has the right person since there is more than one listing.

Anastasia: Oh, are you faculty here?

Patron 1 (huffs): For 18 years now!

Anastasia: (well, bully for you, lady) Do you have your ID?

Patron 1 (sighs again, contemptuously): no

Anastasia decides it's not worth pushing the issue...but wishes professor would get over herself and realize that she's faculty, not famous.

Time passes

Patron 2: Yes, I'd like to pick up my tickets.

Anastasia: Sure, could I have your name please?

Patron 2: It's John Doe.*

Anastasia: OK, I don't see any tickets on hold for you. What event was this for?

Patron 2 (bemused): This weekend's concert.

Anastasia: And have you reserved tickets for this event ahead of time?

Patron 2: Well, I'm here to get my comps.

Anastasia (Your comps??? Sheesh! After Patron 1, I'd better ask...I see where this is going): Are you faculty/staff?

Patron 2 (looks indignant): Yes I am.

Anastasia: May I see your ID?

Patron 2: I guess. Let me find it.

Again, Anastasia ponders why the professors here feel like the world should know who they are...and rolls her eyes to herself.

*Names are changed to protect the snooty.

No comments: